Ringleader Costume… The Jacket & Shorts

October 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm Leave a comment

Sorry for the delay on this post… we’ve been having some technical difficulties with our camera!  I tried to make it work, but apologize in advance for the crappy photos.

The Jacket:

After a trip to Goodwill, I came out with this beauty of a blazer:

First step was to cover the lapel with my Gold Tissue Lame.  I cut two long strips, fused them with lightweight interfacing, and hand stitched them into the existing collar.  I chose to hand sew so there would not be any stitch marks on the collar.

So far, so good.  I couldn’t get the tissue lame to sew in quite as snug as I would have liked (note the left lapel in photo) but overall I wasn’t too unhappy (considering tissue lame is such a pain to work with).  My next project was to add the shoulder pad thingys (if anyone knows the official term, please email it to me!).  I measured the length and width of the top of the jacket from the collar to the end of the shoulder.  Using a compass, I drew out a 4″ circle and 2″ rectangle on a piece of heavyweight craft Pellon.  This created the shape of my shoulder pad.   Then I cut them out and placed them on the jacket to check the fit.

I also wanted the shoulder pads to be covered in the tissue lame without any stitch lines so instead I used a heavy-duty spray adhesive to get the lame to attach.  First I cut out an outline of the shoulder piece onto the tissue lame (leaving myself a 1/2″ seam allowance) and notched around the circle.  I sprayed the lame with the adhesive, placed the Pellon onto the lame smoothing it out as I laid it down, and folded under the seam allowance to finish.

Next, I glued the shoulder pads to the jacket using plain old hot glue.  Really, I couldn’t think of any other way to do it… please don’t hate me for using hot glue.

To complete the circus look of the jacket, I glued on some gold fringe to the shoulder pads and added some ric rac trim to the sleeves.  Overall, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  I still need to find some shiny gold buttons to replace the worn out ones currently on the jacket, but here’s a peek at how it looks all done!

The Shorts:

These were pretty simple.  While at the Goodwill getting my jacket, I also picked up a pair of black velour stretch pants (A special thank you to that whole, crazy J-Lo velour fad…without you I wouldn’t have had so much velour to choose from)   They weren’t quite long enough to be pants, and my inspiration photo had shorts, so I figured why not just take a pair of scissors and sewing machine to them?  So that’s what I did!  I put them on, marked my new seam with a chalk pencil, and started cutting.  Then I pinned  a new hem, and sewed them right up.  Simple, easy and done!

Tomorrow, I’m working  the bow tie, the top, and of course, the hat!

Live Creatively!

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Before & After, Project Mondays, Uncategorized. Tags: , , , , , , , , , .

Project Monday: Ringleader Costume, Day 1 Weekend Craft Fix: Floating Ghost

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Flickr Photos

More Photos

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 4 other followers

bloglovin




%d bloggers like this: